West Side Stories
A Blog Series about the History of Salt Lake's West Side
In 1973, Salt Lake City changed the names of its of its North and West Streets. Initially, street numbers increased or decreased beginning with the the city's meridian, or Temple Square. However, Main Street, which was originally called East Temple, along with North and West Temple did not align with the other street numbers along the grid system. In 1972-1973 West Temple became 100 West and the original 100 West street became 200 West. By making this change all of the street numbers and individual addresses matched.
This aerial photograph was taken prior to the construction of Interstate-15, the Salt Palace (now the Calvin L. Rampton Salt Palace Convention Center,) and the Vivint Smart Home Arena.
"Utah Plain Dealer" newspaper, Salt Lake City, Utah; January 9, 1897; Courtesy of the Church History Library, Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
Parade float of Societa di Cristoro, Salt Lake City, July 24th Pioneer Day Parade, 1924; photographer unknown, J. Willard Marriott Library, University of Utah.
The following five photos are snap shots of Salt Lake City’s West side markets, bakery, markets and cafes, circa 1930-1940; Tax Assessor Records 1-1198, 1-1739, 1-2968-71, 1-2928 and 1-1752, Salt Lake County Archives.
Guy’s Mexica Chili and Short Order on 66 North 400 West (photo #4).
Scrapbook, LGBTQ+ Salt Lake City Community, University of Utah Special Collections Library.